Greg's Blog

Do my terms of trade mean I need a Credit Licence?

Legislative requirements on whether an organisation or business is to be classed as a “credit provider” needing to have a licence under the Consumer Credit Code are complex. If an organisation or a small business operator supplies “credit”[1] in the course of the sale...

Get in quick to avoid NSW Land Tax Surcharge

If you use a discretionary trust, are a trustee of a discretionary trust or a beneficiary under a discretionary trust you are urged to check and/or seek advice as to whether the relevant trust requires amendment to avoid falling foul of the new surcharge provision.

School Fees – Credit Checks and Default Reports

In context of concerns historically raised which hinder “credit checks” (and noting that this note does not tell schools whether their operations attract “credit provider” and hence “credit reporting” provisions), there are options available for dealing with credit worthiness of school fee payers particularly for schools not able, willing or prepared to be involved in providing credit or credit reporting.

Procurement (Enforceable Procurement Provisions) Direction 2019 – NSW

This NSW provision hangs off the state version of the legislation the Commonwealth required New South Wales to enter into pursuant to a free trade agreement with the USA and others. It is to do with, amongst other things, giving tenderers some recourse in the event of...

Witnessing Audio Visually In a Time of Social Distancing

By the Electronic  Transactions Amendment (COVID-19) Witnessing of Documents Regulation 2020 the Electronic Transaction Regulations 2017 (ETR) have effectively been replaced to introduce provisions allowing and setting of standards for signing and witnessing of a...